Addressing violations

Addressing Violations

The University places the onus on students to address most policy violations around academic assessments. As a result, informal resolution is typically an ad-hoc and uneven process. However, our goal is to provide you with a roadmap in order to achieve the best outcomes and save you from undue stress. The Student Advocacy branch of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill (LICM) is also an excellent resource for navigating both informal and formal resolution processes.

          Step 1. Contact your Instructor
          If you feel uncomfortable discussing a situation with an instructor, or feel pressured to disclose personal information, do not hesitate to contact any of the other resources listed on this page.

            Step 2. Contact your Department Chair

            Each academic department has a Chair responsible for overseeing course administration and policy implementation. If you encounter difficulties with an instructor or recognize a systemic issue, they can help to mediate a solution. Several Department Chairs have recently indicated their willingness to develop department-specific assessment policies to address gaps in the University Student Assessment Policy or Faculty-wide procedures.

            To contact your Chair, consult the relevant Department website.

              Step 3. Contact your Associate Dean

              Each Faculty has an Associate Dean of Student Affairs (or equivalent) responsible for overseeing assessment policy implementation, student support resources, and disciplinary procedures. They are typically associated with a Faculty Student Affairs Office (SAO) and represent a key resource if you feel uncomfortable with an instructor or Chair, face roadblocks at the department level, or experience a more complex issue (for example, related to multiple policies, personal support needs, disciplinary action, and/or your degree as a whole).

              To contact your Associate Dean, consult the relevant Faculty website.

                Step 4. Contact the Dean of Students or University Ombudsperson

                The Dean of Students exists as a resource for all students and oversees policies around assessment, accommodation, student rights, sexual violence, and student discipline. Their Office provides various accommodations and referrals and acts as the next step if you encounter difficulties with any of the above channels. The Dean can deal with student issues through informal resolution or help initiate a formal grievance under the Code of Student Grievance Procedures and other policies.

                The Ombudsperson for Students offers confidential, informal, and impartial dispute resolution services through information, advice, intervention, and referrals. They may be accessed for issues around assessment, academic rights, supervision, interpersonal conflicts and other situations. Notably, the Ombudsperson acts in an advisory capacity and cannot initiate formal grievances under the Code of Student Grievance Procedures or other policies.

                Unsure if your situation constitutes a violation of a McGill policy? Don’t know who to contact or how to proceed? If you are experiencing an issue related to academic rights, email and we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction. Students seeking support in navigating resolution procedures or who are facing potential disciplinary action should contact the Student Advocacy branch of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill (LICM).

                Students in the Faculty of Arts can request that the Arts Undergraduate Society contact a professor on their behalf by contacting the Vice-President Academic at

                For personal support or documentation, see the list of campus resources.